I’m currently writing this baby update on a plane because we’ve decided to celebrate Maddy’s 5 month birthday in the Big Apple (we fancy). Actually, mommy had to travel for work, so we figured it would be the perfect opportunity to try traveling as a whole family.
It sounded like a really exciting idea at the time, but as we got closer to our trip I started to break out into cold sweats about traveling with a baby. I can barely get myself through the security line without cursing and losing my patience, so how the hell were we going to withstand a couple of hours with the TSA and a baby? Not only that, but have you ever been on a flight about to settle in for the next few hours only to have your sanity crushed by the shrill wail of the baby behind you? Of course you have, we all have…now I was going to be “that parent.” I was going to be the supremely embarrassed mom shushing her child and smiling ruefully to anyone who turned around and possibly buying $10 mini-drinks for everyone around us.
Thankfully Madeline has been a trooper so far…but it’s a five hour flight. Oh and I’d like to say that Virgin America also made our lives very easy when it came to boarding and flying with a baby!
On a less terrifying note, this month has brought a whole new list of firsts! Maddy is pushing herself up during tummy time and trying to launch herself forward. It’s only a matter of time until she starts crawling, then toddling…what’s next? Texting? Dating? Rolling her eyes at her mom’s lame jokes? I’m kidding of course, but it’s a little crazy to think that the past five months have gone by so fast! Is it terrible that I want her to stay my little girl forever?
Maddy is already wearing sizes for six-month-old babies because she’s so long! She doesn’t quite fill them out because she’s still a little low on the weight scale, but she’s steadily gaining and getting stronger every day.
We also had a little brush with the 4 month regression…if you haven’t heard about this little phenomenon then consider yourself warned. It’s no joke. For months Madeline was sleeping like a champ, then she started to roll over and we found ourselves waking up several times a night. Thankfully she’s not fussy when she wakes up, she just doesn’t sleep for long periods of time anymore, so neither do we (good times). I’m very lucky that Sean is such a doting father. He is so patient and loving with Maddy and on the nights when I have work in the morning, he takes on all the late night/early morning wake-ups and feedings.
I’ve also gotten quite a few questions about the strawberry shaped red patch on Maddy’s leg. It’s called a Hemangioma and according to her pediatrician, it’s harmless. It’s slightly raised and raspberry in color, but it’s already becoming more pale meaning it’s reaching it’s “involution” phase. The mark won’t completely go away until she’s probably four or five years old, but it will most likely disappear by the time she’s old enough to really notice it.
Madeline’s 5 Month Milestones
- Rolling, rolling, rolling! Maddy’s rolling from back to front and vice versa. We have to constantly keep an eye on her now because she’s a curious little soul.
- Girly giggles. Madeline is constantly laughing and giggling and mommy and daddy’s jokes and the sound is like pealing bells of happiness that I just can’t get enough of!
- Grabby Maddy. My hair, earrings, necklaces, nose, and pretty much anything else Maddy can get her hands on is fair game now. Because she’s got strong arms, and a curious mouth I’ve had to learn to embrace ponytails and minimalistic accessories to make sure she doesn’t get ahold of anything that she can choke on (a very small price to pay for child safety).
- She’d like to buy a vowel. Madeline is constantly trying to mimic our sounds now, which is pretty dang adorable.
- Cute alert! Maddy’s growing a new crown of golden brown fuzz on her head. She’s still got her little Friar Tuck patch in the back, but it looks like that’s going to disappear in the next few months.