Who doesn’t love banana bread? Well, I’m sure there are a few people out there, but I’m certainly not one of them. To me, banana bread is a cozy, comfort food that I enjoy making as much as I enjoy eating it, and if you can manage to make a delicious gluten-free version to boost your milk production while you’re breastfeeding, then all the better!
I’d heard that there are baked goods that can increase milk supply, so I did a little searching and found that adding powdered brewers yeast and flaxseed meal is believed to help production. Plus, flax and brewers yeast contain many important vitamins and fiber, which could help combat fatigue and improve your mood.
Since I have an incurable sweet tooth I wanted to find some kind of tasty treat that doubled as a lactation aid to encourage my milk supply. That’s when I came across this delicious banana muffin recipe that was easy to modify, giving it a gluten-free spin.
The first time I made this bread my fiancé smelled the delicious aroma of baking bananas and came downstairs asking for a taste. I informed him that this was a “special” recipe to increase my boob juice, and we’ve lovingly nicknamed this treat “boob juice bread.” (Clearly not appropriate for a blog title, but it makes me giggle like a 3rd grader every time we say it).
I’ve made this recipe twice now and it certainly does work effectively! I’ve almost doubled my milk production allowing me to be able to pump and freeze milk so we have a backup supply.
Gluten-Free Banana & Oat Lactation Bread Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 4 tbsp. water
- ½ cup ground almond flour
- 1 cup Coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 (really) ripe bananas
- 4 (generous) tbsp. brewers yeast
- Preheat your oven to 395.
- Grease an 8×8 bread or muffin tin using oil or shortening.
- Put flaxseed in a bowl with water and stir together, then set it aside.
- Combine the almond and coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, rolled oats, brown sugar, and brewers yeast in a bowl and set aside.
- Mash the bananas, then add the eggs, yoghurt,the flaxseed and water combo, honey, maple syrup, and canola oil and whisk together using a fork or a beater on low.
- Next pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix together.
- Now spoon out your batter into an 8×8 baking dish or muffin tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes for bread, 20 minutes for regular-sized muffins (10-15 minutes for mini muffins).